Friday, April 17, 2015

(concentration) #19 Guitarist On Stage

For project number 8 of this semester I decided to paint a picture of Buzz Osbourne from the band Melvins. I took this picture last summer when I went to his solo acoustic show. I took a couple of pictures of him, but it was hard to do that because he kept banging his head and dancing as he played the guitar. However, I liked the way the picture looked and thought it would make an interesting painting. First, I got a canvas and started to draw out the proportions. Next, I went over to make sure everything was in the right place and if not, I erased some things and changed them to look more like in the picture. Near Buzz's head was blurry so there was not a whole lot of detail. I also thought the lighting in the picture was interesting. After I made sure everything was in place, I began to paint the floor mixing light reds into deeper reds. Then, I painted his shoes, shirt, and guitar. Next, I mixed flesh tones with red to make his arm and face. Then, I took some while and a little black to make his hair, then added a little more black to show value. After I painted his whole body and guitar, I painted the background. Since the lighting on the stage was mostly darkness and a little bit of red, that's what I used. I mixed the light reds into the painted black part of the canvas to blend them in, making a deep effect. I added a few more details and then I was finished. My color palette consisted of reds, white, grey, black, and a little bit of flesh tones. This was challenging at first because I wasn't sure if I could create a blurred image from a photograph.
The photo I took

The painting

No comments:

Post a Comment