For my 10th project of the semester I decided to make a painting of my cat. My mother took a really cool picture my my cat one day. I thought it was a wonderful picture to use for art class so I did. I began with doing a light red wash on the canvas. I let it dry and then I started to sketch the cat's face and all the little details of her fur so I wouldn't forget where they were. After I sketched her out, I started mixing a light green. First I colored in her pupils using black. I then went in with light green from the inside, working my way up using darker green for the outer part of the iris. I used black for the outline of her eyes. Then, I mixed pink with a little bit of yellow to create the color of her nose. I blended it on to the canvas. Next, I painted the bridge of her nose, which was a light tanish brown color. I painted all of her face using light browns, medium browns, and dark browns. I used a smaller brush for her patterned fur, continuing this fur all around her face. Then, I used white for her whiskers and hairs coming out of her ears. I used a very light tan color mixed with white to paint her chest. After I painted the whole cat, I just had to finish the background. I actually really loved the color of the wash I used in the beginning so I decided to make a light pink for the background. My color palette consisted of light pink, dark brown, light brown, tan, white, medium brown, green and black. This was a challenging project because of all the detail I had to do in the fur, but I also think it was a success.
Friday, April 17, 2015
I wanted to do something different and interesting for project number 9 of the semester. One day while I was in my kitchen I noticed a rusted metal bottle cap in the sink. I held the cap and thought about how cool it would be to make a prisma colored pencil drawing of it. First thing I did was got a piece of yellow pastel paper out and began to sketch my hand. I made sure all the proportions were right and then I started with the hand. I used light peach flesh tones and blended them into the pink. Then, I added turquoise and blue. I continued these colors thought the hand. To deepen the value, I got some navy blue and filled along the shadows of the inside of the hand. I then worked on the finger nails with the polish on. I started with a light yellow blending in the middle and then adding light brown outside of the yellow. I added gold and then dark brown to show the value of the nails. To highlight I used white to bring out the shine. Next, I worked on the metal cap. I started with silver and a little bit of black, blending towards the outer edge. I carefully added the letter using black then filling them in. Lastly, I added the rust of the metal cap by blending light browns with yellow and trying to show the rusty texture. I added white to show the highlights in the bottle cap as well as the hand. I used a light red to softly shade in the background. My color palette consisted of pink, peach, light blue, turquoise, navy blue, gold, yellow, light brown, dark brown, silver, white, and a little bit of black. I think this was a successful project for me.
For project number 8 of this semester I decided to paint a picture of Buzz Osbourne from the band Melvins. I took this picture last summer when I went to his solo acoustic show. I took a couple of pictures of him, but it was hard to do that because he kept banging his head and dancing as he played the guitar. However, I liked the way the picture looked and thought it would make an interesting painting. First, I got a canvas and started to draw out the proportions. Next, I went over to make sure everything was in the right place and if not, I erased some things and changed them to look more like in the picture. Near Buzz's head was blurry so there was not a whole lot of detail. I also thought the lighting in the picture was interesting. After I made sure everything was in place, I began to paint the floor mixing light reds into deeper reds. Then, I painted his shoes, shirt, and guitar. Next, I mixed flesh tones with red to make his arm and face. Then, I took some while and a little black to make his hair, then added a little more black to show value. After I painted his whole body and guitar, I painted the background. Since the lighting on the stage was mostly darkness and a little bit of red, that's what I used. I mixed the light reds into the painted black part of the canvas to blend them in, making a deep effect. I added a few more details and then I was finished. My color palette consisted of reds, white, grey, black, and a little bit of flesh tones. This was challenging at first because I wasn't sure if I could create a blurred image from a photograph.
|The photo I took|